Friday, May 6, 2011

Diablo Canyon


Diablo Canyon is located about 20-30 minutes outside of Santa Fe. It is a beautiful place to go hiking, but be prepared to do a lot of hiking on sand. Take lots of water. There is no trail and most people tend to hike the dried up river bed which will eventually lead to the Rio Grande if you are up for a very long hike. I have been to this location twice now. Once during the winter and once in the spring. It looks like a great place to take your dog. I have only encountered a few people on this trail most have had a dog with them. It is cool and well shaded in the canyon walls and looks like the ideal place to go rock climbing, which I would like to return to do. Once out of the Canyon it is all sun. So if you are like me and require shade and cool temps I wouldn't recommend this trail in the summer. However it is perfect for winter and spring.

I have have seen people set up tents out here. It would not be my first choice for camping. There is just something about camping in a river bed that does not appeal to me. Perhaps too many years of teaching hiking and camping safety. I have also worked in the Park system. It is hard for me to advise camping in areas that are not somewhat monitored by Rangers or Park Officials. I guess after having seen and been on a few rescues it changes ones perspective. But in any case it is a neat place to hike. To get out to Diablo Canyon you will travel on a dirt road for several miles. It is all washboard once you reach the parking lot be careful of the pot holes or craters. Enjoy the canyon there is no charge. Take a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment