Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Bandelier National Park


I have been to most of the National Monuments and Parks of New Mexico in the last few months while living here. So far I would say of the parks I have seen Bandelier is impressive. It is a park I have wanted to visited for some time because my grandfather had part in helping build some of the buildings many many years ago.

The hike around the cliff dwellings is like being taken back in time. I love the fact that you can climb the ladders into the dwellings. As a kid I have always wanted to do this, but when I visited Mesa Verde as a child you could not climb into the dwellings. The hike is beautiful and seeing pine trees again is something to marvel at when one gets so use to see the cursed Juniper (which I am allergic to). If you visit this park, be sure you walk all the way to the Alcove House. That is just awesome. There are several ladders to climb which is so much fun. I mean really who doesn't want to climb a wooden ladder that looks athentic. If you have a fear of heights there is not better time to overcome it, because the view is breathtaking. Oh and at the top in the outcropping there is a Kiva to climb down into. It is a great spot for lunch.

Throughout my park visits I have acquired a National Park pass. If you want to find out more about this amazing pass just type in National Park Pass in the search window. There is also a Senior Pass for those of you who are 65 or older. It only costs about $10 and is good for the rest of your life at any park. You can also learn more by visiting any National Park or monument. It is well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment