Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Capulin Volcano National Monument


Recently I just visited Capulin Volcano National Monument. It is an amazing hidden treasure just 30 minutes East of Raton, NM. If you are resident of Raton you should really go and see this amazing monument. It is a volcanic cone that you can drive to the top of. The road is steep with a few switchbacks. If you have a fear of heights, this may not be for you. Once you reach the top there is a large parking lot. On a clear day you can see four different states. I was lucky enough to arrive on a clear day in April. The view was spectacular. I felt like I was in an airplane looking down from the window seat flying over TX, OK, NM, and Eastern Colorado. At the top of the Volcano there is a trail to walk the rim. If you are in good shape and do not get altitude sickness, then hike it! The altitude is around 7,800 feet roughly. It is very breezy so take an extra layer. The path is paved and there are some serious uphill climbs, but not to worry for those of us with bum knees there are benches along the way. Oh don't forget the binoculars! The trail is about 1.5 miles all the way around the rim. This is the only volcano I have been to that I could actually walk the entire rim in one day. Keep your eye out for mule deer. Oh if you have extra time there is a short trail to the base of the volcanic cone.

Side note: The picnic area is a great stop for lunch and if you are there you might as well hike the short loop trail. It is a mild hike. Poles are of use if you have bad knees. Overall, for a $3.00 entrance fee, I would say it is well worth the money to take the time to explore it. Give yourself at least 3-4 hours. When I went I had the rangers honking at me to get off the trail, because the park was closing and I didn't realize it. So if you don't want to be run off by the rangers just be aware of the time. The Rangers were extremely pleasant when I did come off the trail. I really appreciate all that they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment