Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Hovenweep National Monument


Somewhere on the border of UT and CO you will find Hovenweep National Monument. This is a great place to go for a 2 mile hike, but it is the only hike at the park. I would consider it mild hiking, but there area few steep steps to get down and up in order to do the entire trail. I really enjoyed this trail because it allows you to see all of the sites in the park while getting some serious exercise. I would not attempt this trail without lots of water. There are benches along the way which are shaded and strategically placed. I was lucky the weather was perfect 80 degrees. Not too hot. I think this is one of the nicer ruins to visit in the area. Good exercise. Be sure to bring a lunch. There is a visitor center here, but no food. It is about a 1/2 hour to Cortez, CO from here. I would do this hike again. Very beautiful. I am not sure I would take young kids on it. The path skirts a canyon on either side all the way. It is very tempting to go near the edge. I was tempted many times.

No comments:

Post a Comment