Saturday, June 18, 2011

Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec NM


Aztec Ruins National Monument is literally located inside of Aztec, NM. It is a great place to visit. One can easily meander through the ruins. There is a self guided tour you can pick up from the front desk once you have paid. It is helpful to learn more about this particular culture and area. You are allowed to walk into the ruins and in and out of the doorways in some locations to get an idea of what it was like. A lot of the structures have been worked on to preserve the area and allow guests to walk among them. This tour only took me about 45min. If that . There is the option of a ranger program in the Kiva that was built by the park. I choose not to see this.

I would not recommend visiting this site in the heat of the summer. For me I would love to return in the spring or fall. I think it would be a okay to bring young children here because they are allowed to walk among the ruins and go into the Kiva. It is also a very short walk which is good for smaller children.

The area is somewhat wheelchair accessible if you are willing to go down dirt paths, and not go into the ruins.

No comments:

Post a Comment